Tuesday 15 March 2011

Window Cleaners In Fairer Trade, New Fish & Negligence Case

Cleaning up their act ... Jim and daughter Mandy
Fairer trade: Historically, women were passed over in favour of their brothers or even their male cousins. But research from Companies House shows the number of businesses with "daughter" in the name has increased by a third in the last four years. And it seems that girls are good for business. "People don't want to see young lads with their trousers half way down their backsides and their shirts off.  "I retired about eight years ago, three years after Mandy came in, although I do still help out occasionally if I'm needed. "It's worked out well for both of us. Mandy liked it because it's a short day and she could be around for her daughter. And I know the business is in safe hands." Mandy said: "It's a great life. I do five-hour days, five days a week. In the summer it's absolutely lovely in the Oxfordshire countryside, even the winter isn't too bad. I even have a couple of people who do occasional work for me. "I don't know if my daughter Amy will take on the business. She's just 12 but very good academically and I think she would like to go into writing."

Paul Garnett Sr., left, and his son Paul Jr. teamed up to run the Milford branch of Fish Window Cleaning in November 2010. It’s the first time they’ve gone into business together, and both say it’s been a dream job.
Fish Window Cleaning opens in Milford: Milford, Delaware: Paul Garnett never expected to own his own business. As a career salesman for 33 years, entrepreneurship was the last thing on his mind. But today, here he is. The former New Jerseyan, New Yorker and Denver resident is now the owner of one of Milford’s newest businesses, Fish Window Cleaning. It’s a drastic career change for a man who’s had his share of them, and he’s loving it. “I tried different things,” he said. “Carpentry wasn’t stable enough for me. I got a job with Coke, and there I started off on a truck and ended up in management.”
He continued in management at the Edie’s ice cream company until it was bought out by Nestle, and he took an early retirement. “Officially, I’m retired, but I’m not ready to stop working — no way,” he said. “When I was looking for what to do next, I thought, ‘I’ve been in the corporate world, maybe it’s time to use my managerial skills and get my own business going.’” He looked for a business that would let him start a franchise and decided on Fish after meeting with CEO Mike Merrick. “He was honest, he had great integrity, and I knew I could fit into the organization,” Garnett said.
From there it was a matter of deciding where to start his new business, and after working in New Jersey, New York and Colorado, Garnett said Delaware was “the perfect place” to end up. “It’s the pace,” Garnett said. “It’s more casual. The people are very pleasant. People will make eye contact, and that’s almost taboo in New York or New Jersey.” He brought his son, Paul Jr., into the business as operations manager, hired a staff and got up and running in November. “It’s been a real joyride,” he said. “I enjoy the challenges. I like getting up in the morning.”
Fish cleans “anything made of glass” - they’re most often called out for windows, Garnett said, but they also clean chandeliers, mirrors, awnings and gutters, among other fixtures. “The price varies depending on how much there is to clean — it’ll cost more for larger surfaces, or if it’s harder to get to,” he said. “But I think part of our draw is that we offer free estimates. I drive around all day long doing those estimates, so people always know how much it’s going to be before we start anything.” The company also guarantees satisfaction with every job, but Garnett said nobody’s had to use that policy yet. “We’ve had no complaints,” he said.

Cy-Fair cleaning company accused of negligence: An employee of a Cy-Fair window cleaning company is suing the business and the owners of the building he was working on after he was allegedly hurt on the job. Wilmer Vargas filed a lawsuit March 10 in Harris County District Court against HWC General Maintenance LLC and Houston Window Cleaning LLC. Houston Gulfgate Partners LP of Memorial was also named as a defendant. According to the complaint, Vargas was employed by Houston Window Cleaning and working at the Gulfgate Center Mall in February 2010. Vargas claims his hand was crushed because of dangerous conditions on the job site. Vargas accuses both HWC and Gulfgate Partners of negligence and failing to maintain a safe work environment. He asks for an undetermined amount of money in damages for medical costs, lost wages and court fees. Attorneys Melissa Moore and Rochelle Owens are representing. They ask for a jury trial.

No comments:

Search This Blog