Sunday 27 July 2008

Keeping It Clean For 18 Years



WAUPUN, WISCONSIN — For hundreds of Dodge County residents who love an unblemished view of the world Alan Kohl is their go-to guy. That's because Kohl, a window washer for 18 years, never leaves a job until a window is spotless, and the customer can see nothing but the image on the other side of the glass. "I took over from my Uncle Merlin Kohl who started in the window cleaning business with my dad in the 1950s," said Kohl who cleans windows for businesses and residents in Dodge County. After graduating from Beaver Dam High in 1975, Kohl started working right away by driving a milk truck. "I delivered milk to homes and schools. But over the years the competition got bigger. So big they even started selling milk in gas stations. After nine years the company folded up, and I folded up with them," said Kohl. Next Kohl worked for Service Master. "We'd did everything from carpet cleaning to cleaning fire damage," he said. That business was going well, but then came the call. "My uncle decided on retiring and asked me to take over his accounts. I said OK," said Kohl. Alan Kohl said his grandfather Frank Kohl started a business in Beaver Dam in the 1930s and eventually Alan's father Milton, and Milton's brother Merlin (the sons of Frank Kohl) joined Frank. "Then grandpa went to another business, investing in real estate and fixing up homes and gave the old business to my uncle and dad. That was in the 1950s, and each brother had his own window cleaning business, each having his own account." "My father is 78-years-old and is still active in cleaning store windows, although it's just Tuesday's and Fridays now," said Kohl. Why does the 78-year-old Kohl still clean windows? "I enjoy the conversations with everybody," said Milton Kohl. "And I don't only clean windows, in the spring and fall I help with storm windows." For Alan Kohl the motivation is different. "I like my independence. I like being outdoors when the weather is tolerable and I like traveling around Dodge County to places like Beaver Dam, Waupun, and Mayville." Kohl says he also likes scheduling jobs so that he can handle everything himself. "And, I like a steady flow of work." Kohl said this year's bad weather set things back a bit for him. "Earlier this year I was playing catch-up a lot, but my customers understood." Kohl said many people ask him for the secret of cleaning windows. "It's using a squeegee, rather than towel drying," he said. "And use it fast. Once the water evaporates, you won't remove the spots. A squeegee instantaneously removes the spots." Another tip Kolh said is to wait until the window is in the shade. "A cool window is easier to clean than a warm one."

No comments:

Search This Blog