Tuesday 15 July 2008

Australian Window Cleaning News

Bent and Curved Glass (BCG) is a manufacturer of curved glass. Bent and Curved Glass produces toughened, laminated, double glazed and annealed curved glass for a wide range of commercial and residential architectural applications throughout Australia. The image shown here is a complex curved feature window overlooking the iconic Bondi Beach. The BCG custom laminated curved glass incorporates an external layer of Viridian Renew self cleaning glass, which combined with a water sprinkler system overcomes the difficulty of access for cleaning. The ideal curved glass installation enhances the robust yet sleek design conceived by Virginia Kerridge Architects and built by Bellevarde Constructions. The experienced BCG staff work closely with architects and building contractors to achieve both custom and standardised solutions to suite individual project requirements. Footnote: I've also experienced cleaning curved glass in Mallorca, is this the new trend?










FRED Wiedeman takes pride in his job. He says it is important to him and that he works hard to make the cars in the yard at Tarra Motors appear as well-presented as possible. Observers of such things may have noticed the cars at Tarra Motors have that extra shine about them lately, that the yard is meticulously clean and the showroom sparkling. Originally from Holland, Fred came to Bega in 1998 from the Shellharbour-Wollongong area. There was too much crime up there,” he says. “It was no good; this is a much nicer place.” Fred is a familiar face around Bega. He has made a career in cleaning and has buffed, polished and shone many a business window over the last few years. What many people may not know is that Fred was born with Cerebral Palsy. This limits his strength, so he has to work that little bit harder to achieve his career goals. “It makes me a bit slower I guess,” says Fred. “But I am still quite capable of doing things.”
It was Fred’s experience and dedication that first drew the attention of John and Gudrun Stylianou, owners of Tarra Motors. They were looking for a special person to take ownership of the yard-person role.“One of the hardest things with unskilled workers is finding one with the right attitude,” says John Stylianou. “We have had a few people with the wrong attitude but with Fred, his attitude is just fantastic and he is a very good worker for us.” John says Fred works three-days-a-week now and hopefully he will soon be doing four-days-a-week. “We really enjoy giving Fred the opportunity and the challenge of working on a consistent basis,” he says. “It gives him something to focus on and gives us a very good worker.” Fred, a client of WorkAbilty Personnel Bega, is really enjoying the challenge of his new role and feels very fortunate to be a member of such a supportive and welcoming team. Fred says that anyone with Cerebral Palsy should “give it a go”. He also says that others should not look at Cerebral Palsy sufferers as much different; that they still basically think the same as anyone else.


Measures to protect Mt Isa kids from lead debunked. CLEANING, home repairs and parental awareness campaigns do not protect children from lead-contaminated dust, according to an international review that debunks such claims by the Queensland Government and Xstrata Mount Isa Mines. Australian and US medical experts reviewed 12 US studies that included 2239 children aged six years and younger and their parents or caregivers. They evaluated steps such as cleaning and house repairs aimed at reducing the children's lead dust exposure and found there was no evidence they worked. Community pediatrician and co-author Garth Alperstein, from the Notre Dame School of Medicine in Sydney, said: "Just relying on parents to keep the home clean as the sole strategy, from the research we've done, is disappointing. "It's better to address the lead at the point where it's being put into the atmosphere." He said strategies such as those proposed to residents of the Queensland mining town were ineffective when homes and communities were frequently recontaminated by toxic dust, as they were in Mount Isa. The Queensland Health survey found 11 per cent of youngsters had blood lead levels higher than the international limit of 10 micrograms per decilitre. Australian and US studies have linked blood lead levels as low as 2-10mcg/dl to intellectual and behavioural difficulties in children. The Australian last week reported research revealing that dust collected from window sills, airconditioning units and floors in Mount Isa homes contained lead at levels up to 40 times international guidelines.

Justin Orloff, an Australian window cleaner working and living in Austria, featured on Austrian Television. Video below:


The Australian Window Cleaners Federation (AWCF) was established by a group of Australian window cleaners as a way of furthering information and professionalism within Australia. The logo is trademarked & has been registered as a non-profit association. This website is the main avenue for members information, with links to everything a window cleaner requires. It will always be evolving and updated. Your annual, continual membership fee (just $2 a week) will enable the present committee the funds to run the website. Membership continues to grow and is now approaching 150 after its first year.
Code of Ethics
To always promote the professional image and reputation of the Australian window cleaning industry.
To always encourage the highest professional standards between members, customers, employees, suppliers and competitors
To always maintain the highest professional standards of workmanship, management and service.
To encourage friendly exchanges of information and cooperation among Australian and overseas window cleaners
To continually strive for improvements, using the latest training for those already connected with or wishing to enter the window cleaning industry. To actively promote safety in the workplace and its compliance with all applicable laws.

Gary.E.Hollinshead of window cleaning firm H2o'n'Go & also Aqwa Magic tells his story:
I first started cleaning windows in 1986 in England at the age of 18; I first came in contact with the WFP system in 2000 from my friend a window cleaner who taught me how to clean windows some 14 years earlier. He said that this was the new way of cleaning windows and would take over the window cleaning industry. He sold me a starter pack that was manufactured by OTT “over the top” now called Ionic systems. This starter pack consisted of an 18ft pole 12”brush, resin bead cartridge on a stand with half a metre of hose pipe. My friend had given me the best sales pitch I had ever heard “he was very convincing and still is to this day” As I recall I rushed to the hardware store to get the extra garden hose and fittings I needed to try out my new system that I totally believed would change the way I did my work and make it easier and quicker straight away. I was so excited I told Sue my partner that we were going be able to make more money quicker and I would also be less tired when I get home as I wasn’t climbing ladders all day, I used to clean my own house now and again as all window cleaners do(ah ah) and it would take me about 20 minutes to clean my double story property. I connected the entire fittings together and invited my next door neighbor to watch me use the system. I didn’t fully understand how to use the system and spent nearly two hours cleaning my home and also trying to understand this new concept of window cleaning that was totally alien to me. At first I thought it was no good for cleaning glass as it was taking ages to dry and was leaving milky white spots on the glass. The only benefit I could see about the system after the first clean was that I could clean the top windows of my house without using a ladder. With Sue myself and my next door neighbor not convinced at all about this new technology I went to bed very un happy thinking what a foolish comment I had made to Sue and my neighbor about it making it easier and the worst thing was I had also spent this hard earned money on a system that took longer to clean and also left the glass with loads of little white spots and run marks, but I did have the cleanest windows frames in the street “Not Happy at all”. (The main reason I had bought the starter pack was it was taking me seven weeks to clean four weeks work, so I was always behind and could never catch up with the work load.)

No comments:

Search This Blog