Sunday 31 October 2010

How The Canvassing Window Cleaner Got My Business


How The Canvassing Window Cleaner Got My Business by Trish Jones: In minutes, I went from paying £5 to £12 to the canvassing window cleaner. So how did the slick marketing window cleaner get my business without me even sniffing at the 60% increase in the cost!?

We’ve been in our current house for 15 years now and since that time, we’ve had the same window cleaners … until this week. Our previous window cleaners did nothing wrong but on Saturday, there was a knock at the door and a smartly dressed man explained that he owned a window cleaning company and started cleaning windows in our area if we were interested.  I said “no thanks, we already have a window cleaner” and started shutting the front door.

As the canvasser walked up the path he explained how they use a purified water cleaning system to clean the windows which meant:

a) little or no use of ladders because they used a waterfed pole system
b) the windows were cleaner, brighter and stayed clean for longer
c) they would clean the window ledges and PVC doors as well

Well, at this point, my front door swung open again and I was all ears! Within minutes, I’d hired the window cleaner to do one clean so we could decide if we wanted to continue. That was Saturday … Come Tuesday … First off, when the window cleaner left, both my husband and I queried whether he himself would clean our windows.  Why? Because he was clean and tidy and, he smelled good!

We thought that he managed the company and someone else cleaned.  So come Tuesday, we were a little surprised when he turned up with his wife to clean our windows. My point is, our first impression of him wasn’t a window cleaner, but a business man who made himself presentable to his prospective clients. The evening before he was due, we even received a text message to say they’d be coming so we could unlock the side gate. And as for the clean … outstanding!

But why was I so quick to pay up £12 when we’d been paying £5 First of all, I don’t want to clean the outside of my house period!  I watch my house-proud “aged” neighbours doing it and I take the view, “not me … I’ve got better things to do with my time.” I was also impressed with the system they used to give a brighter shine since in the summer, the smears from a traditional clean can show up, making me feel as though I need to go clean the windows again – never happens though … I’m just a good thinker! 

Finally, and I’m sure this one will resonate with some of you, because they use a brush on the end of a long pole … I got no one looky looking through my bedroom window! I’m telling you … the amount of times I’ve asked my window cleaner to knock the door before he cleans the windows and I don’t recall him doing it once.  Fortunately, I’ve never been caught in an embarrassing situation but, I’ve often walked into my office which is in one of the bedrooms of our home, to be met with a face at the window.  Not nice!

So, when the canvassing window cleaner told me it was £12 a clean, trust me, I didn’t even baulk at the price.  In fact, he suggested once every two months was adequate for a clean and yet, I was willing to give him £12 every 4 weeks. My point here is that I was sold on the benefits even though he could have bombarded me with features of his purified water window cleaning system. So, my open ended question to you is … are you selling on features or letting the benefits do the selling for you?
Until next time, Trish.



Door Canvassing Script:

(PC) Good Morning/Afternoon Mr/s……..

(PC) I’m sorry to disturb you

I’m ………. The local window cleaner, I am just calling to see if you currently have a window cleaner?

Wait for Customers response

I’ve got a window cleaner?

(PC) OK. Are you happy with them?

Listen carefully to customer’s response; any sign of hesitation usually indicates they are less than satisfied. Probe and clarify what aspect of their current service they are not happy with and sell them on the benefits of our service.  If the customer says they haven’t seen their window cleaner for a while, sell the benefits of our service and offer to quote.

(PC) Yes. OK, thanks for your time

No I haven’t got a window cleaner

(PC) Is that something you might be interested in?

Customer Express’s an interest

(PC) OK Great. Let me give you a little more information and tell you why we are different to your average bucket and ladder window cleaner.

Open up blue leaflet in front of them.

(PC) We use a truck mounted pure water system which is completely ladderless, so there is no risk of damage to your property. We clean all the sills, frames and doors (point to fixed bottom door panels) using pure water. Pure water dries to a smear free shine leaving no spots or streaks whatsoever. So the windows absolutely gleam, and they stay cleaner for longer because the water is de-ionised and there is no detergent residue left on the glass. We always call to let you know we’re coming and never turn up unannounced.

(PC) We give you a full money back guarantee on every job so if your not absolutely delighted with what we do… don’t pay us a penny. That sounds fair, doesn’t it? Can I walk round the outside of the house to give you a quote (It only takes 2 minutes and I don’t need to come inside)

Price condition them at this stage by letting them know we are more expensive than most window cleaners.

Delivering the Price:

(PC) To do all the sills, frames and doors with a full money back guarantee it will be ……… per month.
Are you happy with that?

If they hesitate, re-sell the benefits, emphasising the high quality job we do. If they still won’t commit do a drop down close by suggesting an 8 week plan explaining the benefits of the windows staying cleaner than normal window cleaning so they will still be getting better value from this service. A great closing line is “May I suggest trying us once and if its not the best job you’ve ever had we wont charge you, now that sounds fair doesn’t it?" Get Agreement and close by asking for their name, address etc.

No comments:

Search This Blog