Monday 2 August 2010

Window Cleaner To Thank Air Ambulance With Thousand Mile Bike Ride



Zach and friends make 1,000-mile journey to thank doctor who saved his life: A year ago Zach Davey woke from an induced coma to be told he was lucky to be alive. The week before, the 20-year-old had been rushed to hospital by air ambulance with serious head and brain injuries after a life-threatening motorcycle accident. Twelve months on, Zach and two friends are preparing to cycle close to 1,000 miles from John O'Groats to Land's End to raise money for the team of flying doctors who saved his life. He said: "It has been a long road to recovery and now I'm doing well, although I do have problems with my short term memory and sometimes can suffer from epileptic fits. "However, if it wasn't for the air ambulance I may not be here today, let alone riding nearly 1,000 miles."

Window cleaner Zach, from Hinckley, was out riding with friends when the accident happened in Fenn Lanes, near Dadlington, in June 2009. He said he remembered swerving to avoid a car before crashing into a tree stump. "I remember waking up and seeing my bike in bits down the road," he said. "I started to cry, then tried to get up and couldn't. "Next thing I knew, I woke up in hospital."



Zach was given emergency treatment at the scene before being flown to University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire by the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance (WNAA) in under 10 minutes. The service which covers Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Rutland was busy on another mission at the time of Zach's accident. The journey by road would have taken around 40 minutes. The speed of the air ambulance staff was vital to ensuring Zach's survival. In hospital he was found to have suffered two serious brain haemorrhages and was placed in a week-long induced coma to give his body a chance to recover.

He then spent a further week in hospital. He said: "Doctors in the hospital told me that if it wasn't for the air ambulance I would have been paralysed or worse and I am truly grateful. "Having the doctor on board the air ambulance definitely made a difference. Quite simply they brought hospital to me and saved my life." Zach and his friends Richard Earp and Tom Dickinson, also from Hinckley, aim to complete the gruelling bike ride in 13 days and raise £3,000 in sponsorship. The trio are to begin their attempt on Friday, August 27.

“Once in hospital my family and friends were told that I had severely bruised my brain, I was in a controlled coma for 10 days. The doctors had to try two times to bring me round as I had done so much damage to my head. “Now I’m on the road to recovery, 14 months ahead of schedule and we are attempting to push bike 1,000 plus miles. We are hoping to raise at least £3,000.”
Other fundraising events are being held throughout the months leading up to ride at the end of August. These include a line dancing night with a bike bonanza prize draw during the night. Tickets will be available once a date has been decided. For further details search on Facebook for Zach, Tom and Rich cycle John O’Groats to Lands End for Air Ambulance. Donations can also be made at http://www.justgiving.com/thebigcycleride2010.

1 comment:

Air Cleaner said...

I wish all country has this air ambulance. I am happy for your recovery Zach. god bless.

Search This Blog