Monday 17 November 2008

Saving Grandad Bryan + Window Cleaning in a Tuxedo

Saving Grandad Bryan. A semi-retired window cleaner has hailed his granddaughter as his 'little angel' after her quick thinking prevented him suffering serious injury. Bryan Morris, 64, who lives at Parc Hafod, Four Crosses, had collapsed in his bathroom in the early hours of Sunday, October 19, blacking out and bashing his head on the floor. Bryan was at home alone with his granddaughter, seven-year-old Olivia Lewis, while his wife Denise was away in London for the weekend. However, disaster was averted when quick-thinking Olivia sprang into action. Remembering her 'Heart Start' training, which she had received at Llandysilio Church in Wales Primary School, Olivia checked to see if Bryan was conscious then tried to wake him, checked his breathing and his pulse before again trying to wake him. Olivia said: "I just heard a bang and thought it was something falling in the other room. I looked in the conservatory and noticed a light on in the bathroom and I went in there and found him flat out on the floor. "Olivia said she suddenly remembered what she had learned at school last year: "We learned this thing called heart start at school where we do recovery, shake them, check their breathing and we practiced it on our friends," she said, "We did this with Mrs Ellis!"Olivia said: "I shook him then said his name and he did not wake up so I checked if he was breathing and he was. I put my ear to his chest and could feel on my ear his heart beating, I shook him again and said his name louder. "He woke up and told me to ring mum and I did. I said 'can you come quickly because grandad has passed out on the floor'. "I helped him back into bed and got him a cold flannel and unlocked the door for dad. He came and called Shropdoc and then they came and gave him pills."Olivia explained how she had remembered what to do from the video they had watched in school: "You see these people on TV and you think that will never happen to me but when you actually find someone it's the first thing that comes into your head," she said. Bryan, 64, a semi-retired window cleaner, was full of praise for Olivia, saying: "She's my little angel. She could have panicked and started bawling but she was very calm."He added: "I remember her being there but I cannot really remember anything, just snatches until I came round. To keep so cool for a seven-year-old it's marvellous, to remember to do everything when your grandad is on the floor like that is incredible." Olivia's parents were delighted with their quick thinking daughter, her mum Tanya said: "I'm very proud and it's nice to think that they do take it all in at school and she's always had a big bond with her grandad." Olivia's father, Steve, added: "She's brilliant, to remain calm and do what she did." Alison Ellis, Olivia's headteacher at Llandysilio Church in Wales School, said: "Obviously you don't want these things to happen but when something like this does happen you can think 'that works', I'm really pleased that we have taken this up as a scheme."We are all really proud of Olivia as she remembered what to do because I know as adults we all think 'would I remember to do that in an emergency?'"

And just a quick video to show you how not to clean windows. The curiosity factor is a Canadian window cleaner in a tuxedo, bow-tie & carrying a metallic briefcase especially adapted to carry squeegee's! Bet he drives a limo'?

No comments:

Search This Blog