Monday 5 March 2012

Keeping The Family Window Cleaning Business Afloat


Dad’s sick...so I’m running his window cleaning business: A son is keeping his family window cleaning business afloat while his dad fights cancer. Jack Smith, 20, from Basildon, didn’t want to see the company his father, Matthew Smith, worked hard to build up fold when his dad fell ill, so he took it on himself. Matthew, 43, was diagnosed with kidney cancer two years ago and underwent gruelling chemotherapy. He is making a good recovery and has entered remission.

Jack, who lives with his dad in Spruce Close, used to work as an underwriter in London, but didn’t want to see Shine Cleaning Services fade away. He said: “My dad had done it for 15 years, so I decided to take it on. We’re really close – I’d call my dad my best friend – and I feel really proud to have kept the business going by following in his footsteps. “My dad can’t handle the physical side of the job any more. “He’s still a bit involved in the financial side, although I do most of it myself.” Many of the cleaning company’s regular customers have been hiring its services for more than a decade because they built up a rapport with outgoing and friendly Matthew.

Jack said: “A lot of them are pleased to see me carrying on the business, because he was so popular.” Jack currently cleans houses and small commercial properties across south Essex, but plans to expand the business in the future by securing big contracts and taking on staff. He said: “I’d love to clean some of the big skyscrapers in London and it would be great to get a contract with Southend Airport, because it’s a big local business. “If I had children one day it would be great if they could carry the family business into a third generation.”

No comments:

Search This Blog