Tuesday 22 February 2011

A Window Cleaners Battle With Prescription Medication



A Tupelo (Miss), man's battle with prescription meds: Have you ever been prescribed a painkiller and worried about become addicted to it? That worry may be justified as prescription drug addiction has now replaced alcohol as the number one substance most abused in the nation according to National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependance Tupelo Office spokesperson Dody Vail.

Someone who knows all too well about prescription drug dependency is Henry Surface. He began a descent into the world of prescription drug addiction and even to his amazement-survived. Surface is the owner of a business appropriately called "Shiny Surface." "I work as a window washer-believe it or not-with a heck of an education but, pride has taken a back seat in my life and I think that's helped a lot with recovery-that and faith in something besides myself," Surface said.

He's recovering from years of prescription drug dependancy. He became addicted to drugs after he was prescribed a painkiller following surgery. Then, the nightmare journey would begin. He had to have a bigger fix. He would ultimately lose his family, lose his job as a math instructor. He would even become homeless.

Surface says one prescription would lead to another and another. "I found that they were enjoyable. They felt very good and all my problems seemed to disappear-including the pain but, the more I took, the more I needed," Surface said. That's a problem growing with rapid speed in the nation according to Vail. She assesses people with drug and or alcohol dependency.

"Opiates are extremely addicting in a short period of time so, our tolerance grows very quickly and then more and more is needed for the same effect so, it gets people before they realize it in many cases," Vail said. That would be the case with Surface. Eventually, he would be prescribed Fentanyl-a tremendously strong painkiller. "I'd put the patches on and they wouldn't work well enough so, I'd cut the patches open and start eating the gel," Surface said.

One night, he thought his life was over. "After about six months use of the Fentanyl, I lay in bed one night. I felt my respiration slow down and eventually, it stopped. I could hear my pulse. I was in a total paralytic state. Somehow I regained my thought-my feeling and I said, no more," Surface said.

The road to recovery hasn't been an easy one but, Henry says those days of addiction are behind him for good. These days, life is much better for him. He has been reunited with his son. He believes he has a new mission in life and that's to be happy, healthy and sober. "It's been a mega inspiration to me. It makes me feel like if anybody has a problem you can get out there. You can change it. You can be anything you want to be," son Caleb Surface said. "I cannot even compare it to the actual drugs themselves. The feeling of reconciliation with my son is far more superior than the feeling of opiates," Surface said. Vail says prescription drug dependency is also growing in popularity among teens but, the problem is being found among all age groups.

Anyone can become addicted.

No comments:

Search This Blog