Wednesday 1 July 2015

This Window Cleaner Is A Tool - Sets Guinness Record

Terry Bradbury, of Weston Coyney, who runs window cleaning firm Pure clean plus, dons a tape measure costume when he took on the London Marathon.
MARATHON MAN MEASURES UP: Local window cleaner Terry Bradbury, 49, set a new world record at this year’s London Marathon for ‘the fastest marathon dressed as a tool’ category. Terry, who runs Pure clean plus window cleaning services, ran dressed as a tape measure, raising £893 for the Donna Louise Children’s Hospice. He finished the gruelling 26.2 mile course in 3hrs 49mins 45secs smashing the world record for this category by 11 minutes.


“It was tough running that distance in the costume, especially as I’d forgotten to apply my anti-chafing cream, but the outcome was well worth it,” said Terry. “I raised funds for and awareness of this worthwhile charity while achieving my ambition to set a Guinness world record”.


Terry said he first got the idea for his special attire when searching for fancy dress costumes for his mum’s 70th birthday. He added: “I was looking through costumes and seeing something similar got me wondering what the record was for running dressed like a tool. “I contacted the Guinness World Records team who said I could have the world record, under a new category, if I did the race in under four hours. “It took me seven weeks to get my costume from Belfast - so I had to go as Michael Jackson for my mum’s birthday!”

Terry has ran the gruelling race once before, and completed it in a time of three hours 48 minutes - despite a bad ankle injury. He said that while all the children who use the hospice are an inspiration to him, he was doing the challenge for one family in particular. “One of my customers who lives near me - William Simpson - has a son who uses the hospice and needs a heart transplant,” Terry added. “The son always has a smile on his face and that is largely down to the hospice.

“I see the kids with problems at the hospice and they’re just as happy as my grandkids and Ellie - my daughter. “They all should have a childhood and shouldn’t have to deal with the problems they have, but they cope so well. “I think a lot of adults can take a leaf out of their books.”

Each year, it costs £2.5 million to keep the Donna Louise Children’s Hospice open. Hannah Ward-Salt, marketing manager for the hospice, said: “We’re thrilled that Terry’s used this quirky record attempt to raise awareness and funds. “The London Marathon is such a prestigious event that attracts so many followers. 

“People taking on personal challenges is one of the many ways in which people can support the hospice.” To support Terry’s cause, visit his Virgin fund-raising web page. Alternatively, you can contact the Trentham-based charity on 01782 654440.

No comments:

Search This Blog