Wednesday 4 September 2013

Professional Window Cleaner Puts The Right Tools In Your Hands

Mark & Leonor put the right window cleaning tools in your hands. Click to enlarge.

Once upon a time... Back in May 2007, my wife and I were getting my father's condo cleaned up so it could go up for sale. My wife handed me a shower glass squeegee and instructed me to clean the windows. I couldn't believe how great the windows turned out compared to cleaning methods I tried in the past. Suddenly an idea came into my head. "Hey, I could actually see myself doing this for a living." So with some professional tools in hand and a fist full of advertising fliers, I made it a reality. 

Fast forward to 2012. As I began to wonder about the future of my window cleaning business and asking myself, "how much longer do you want to clean windows?" I had another idea come into mind. With my experience as a window cleaner and love of tools, (Check out Tool Talk With Mark The Window Cleaner on YouTube) it seemed to make perfect sense to morph the business into being a supplier to the trade. 



Now as a participating member of the windowcleaningresource.com community, I got to see first hand of what a successful window cleaning supplier should be when it comes to putting the end customer first. Chris Lambrinides and Alex Lambrinides are a hard act to follow but they have been great with giving advice, sharing their own stories of when they first started, all so that I can get set up right on the supplier side of things. 

So with a plan in place and loads of support from family, friends and others in the trade, my wife and I set the machine in motion. From finding the perfect location in Toronto, to designing a workable store in a shop space we could afford, we were going to have our work cut out for us. My wife Leonor did all the design work and I can't believe what she was able to accomplish with 400 sq ft. One of the things that we think will help us stand out is that all the product is out in the open where customers can see, feel and even test out before they leave the store. 

Beautiful View window cleaning store opens to the public today! Click to enlarge.
Now many are probably wondering how much it costs to set up something like this. Well all I can say is for you to think of a dollar amount, adding about 10% contingency and then just when you feel comfortable with that kind of investment, DOUBLE IT! Oh yeah, and everybody needs to get paid up front when you start out. 

Next comes the joy of finding out just how tight those margins are when selling window cleaning supplies. I'm afraid it's nothing like traditional retail. The manufactures will give you 'list' pricing and tell you that you get X% off that. The problem is, no one in the industry is selling at 'list' pricing. To stay competitive you must lower it down a fair bit. But you've paid X amount regardless, along with cost of shipping (free in some cases with larger orders), importing fees and taxes. Haha, it's almost laughable how quickly you see profit being chipped away from your merchandise. 


Kid in a candy shop anyone? Click to enlarge.
So what keeps one going forward in this super tight profit game? Well for me it's accepting that this is a long term investment and as long as I put the right attitude behind it and continue with my desire to help other business folk by putting the right tools in their hands, I believe it will pay off big in the long run. 

With that said, I would like to thank all the people who have supported me in this project as well as past projects such as the Tool Talk video series and my window cleaning DVD. I will continue in the same mode of sharing, teaching and helping other businesses as best as I can, now via The Window Cleaning Store. 

Mark Strange Beautiful View - Tool Talk
The Window Cleaning Store http://www.thewindowcleaningstore.com is located at 1805 Wilson Ave Unit #107, Toronto, On M9M 1A2
Phone number is 416-748-9393
Hours of operation: 8am-5:30pm Mon-Fri, 9am-1pm on Sat. 

Mark strange realizes his dream. Click to enlarge.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Thanks for posting the interview Karl.

Search This Blog