Tuesday 12 March 2013

Window Cleaning Without Ladders

Big business: Gerald Ash, 46, hit on his bright idea after struggling to find work because of his huge size.
This story was featured in a previous blog here before it went national. Note the adapted Wagtail squeegee from Wagga's videos...

Britain's most unlikely window cleaner: 35-stone Gerald is to too big for a ladder... and scared of heights: The ability to shimmy up a ladder at a moment's notice to scrub glass until it gleams is surely the most important skill to window cleaning. And without it, work can be a real pane. Not so for Gerald Ash, 46, who, at 35 stone, is not only too fat to use a ladder but he is so afraid of heights that he gets scared after reaching the second rung. Nonetheless, cuddly Gerald powers on from the safety of the pavement washing windows with a squeegee firmly stuck on the end of a pole. He launched the business in Gloucester in January after struggling to find work because of his huge size.

Step by step: Ladders buckle under 72-inch waisted Gerald's bulk - and he gets scared after reaching the second rung.
  • Gerald Ash, 46, got the idea after struggling to find work due of his size.
  • Spent three months 'training' and almost all his benefits on equipment.
  • But ladders buckle under his bulk and gets scared after reaching 2nd rung.
  • His business is growing and he now has four clients in Gloucester, Gloucs.
  • 'I'm getting out there to do what I can to make a difference to my own life'.

He spent three months 'training' and almost all his benefits on window cleaning equipment - but can only wash windows from the ground using a squeegee on the end of a pole. Pasty-loving Gerald used to tip the scales at a massive 50st, but slimmed down in recent years in a bid to control his diabetes. His business is just getting off the ground and he has found himself four customers on his round in Gloucester. He said: 'I'm a big lad - 46, diabetic, and in excess of 20 stone overweight and nobody is going to give me a job. I wouldn't give myself a job.

'So that's why I'm getting out there and doing what I can to make a difference to my own life. 'I was sat at home one day, wondering what I could do to get my out there. And then I came up with an idea that stunned me - I could clean windows for a living. 'However, I can't use a ladder. They're only recommended for loads up to 150kg, and I weigh more than 250kg. 'I'd be too worried it was going to snap with me on top. Also, once I get past the second rung I start crying and screaming for my mummy. 'I'm not good with heights at all - it's hardly the best thing for a would-be window cleaner.'

Fear of heights: He spent three months 'training' - but can only clean windows from the ground using a squeegee on the end of a pole.
Single Gerald, a former bus driver, added: 'I do my landlord's windows and my ex-wife's windows - but they don't pay me. 'I've spent three months and all my money learning how to clean windows, and I want to do it right. 'I've got it off to a tee now - I'm certainly never going to be the fastest cleaner in the world, but I want to deliver the best quality.'

Beefy Gerald, who is 6ft 3in tall, hopes his new career will help him lose more weight. He said: 'At the end of the day, I'm fat, and that makes me an expert in weight-loss. 'Diets are a waste of time - it's all about how active you are and how busy you keep yourself. I'm hoping this is going to keep me busy.' He hopes that once his window-cleaning business is up and running he can expand to cleaning bins and patios.

Ambitions: Gerald hopes that once his window-cleaning business is up and running he can expand to cleaning bins and patios.
Gerald set himself up as a window cleaner by spending almost all his employment support allowance on equipment. He splashed out £136 of his £142 fortnightly benefit on squeegees, a bucket, sponges, rags and cleaning liquids. He also forked-out on a four-metre long system of telescopic poles so he can reach first floor windows as well as those on the ground level.

His 'training' before he started involved scouring YouTube for videos of people window cleaning so he could pick up some tips. Gerald said: 'Window-cleaning courses cost hundreds of pounds and I really couldn't afford that. 'I watched all the videos I could find on Youtube and practised, practised and practised. 'Window cleaning isn't rocket science, but it is a skill, and like all skills, practice makes perfect.'

No comments:

Search This Blog