Saturday 3 September 2011

A Homeless Window Cleaner

Living rough: Richard Dipple, 63, sleeps on a bench in Richmond Green
Homeless window cleaner tells his story of life on Richmond's streets: Dealing with the sense of loss left by a friend’s death is hard enough, but for one long-term Richmond resident the experience was made even worse when it led him to a life on the streets. Richard Dipple, 63, had until a month ago had been living in The Terrace in Richmond Hill when a cruel twist of fate left him without a home and living on a park bench in Richmond Green. Yet despite his misfortune Mr Dipple remains upbeat.

He said: “I’m quite happy, I’ve always lived outdoors [though] I miss my old house I was living in and my nice little bed. “I’m quite happy living out on the streets, I keep myself wrapped up and try to stay warm and sleep a bit early in the day and then can stay up all night. I’ve always managed to look after myself.”

Mr Dipple, who was wrapped in a blanket and abandoned at Hornchurch Cottage Homes orphanage as a baby, gets up early every morning to shave before heading to his job as a window cleaner. The former grounds caretaker had been living in a basement flat in Richmond Hill as a sort of groundsman for the sprawling properties which are located in the heart of Richmond. But he was forced to revert to living on the streets after his benefactor, and friend of more than 20 years, died.

He said: “I lived in Richmond Hill on the Terrace for 22 years and I had a nice little basement flat room leading on to a garden. I looked after a large garden and also had to look after the communal parts with sweeping etc for the tenants. “The lady I worked for, I worked for her for 20-odd years and she gave me a room. She was really sweet and lovely to me.”

But, despite his turn in fortune, Mr Dipple insisted he could not complain about his circumstances and thanked the residents living around Richmond Green for looking out for him for the past few weeks and their kind offers of tea, sandwiches and bread. He said: “I’ve known Richmond and this green for years but I never realised what fine, kind people all these people are. They are wonderful people..”

Could you help Mr Dipple? Contact the newsroom on 020 8744 4274.

No comments:

Search This Blog