Saturday 30 May 2009

Window Cleaners Live Longer & Helps You Stay Fit



Richard Lowe, former lay preacher from Kington, celebrates centenary: A FORMER lay preacher from Kington is counting his blessings after reaching the big 100 last week. Great-great-grandfather Richard Lowe celebrated with friends and neighbours at The Oxford Arms. Around 50 wellwishers watched him open a card from the Queen and they also raised £250 for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust in support of his great-grandson, who has the disease. As well as addressing local methodist congregations for half a century, Mr Lowe was also a painter and decorator, bus conductor and window cleaner during his working years. He has been a life-long supporter of Hereford United and is a great fan of gardening.


Goring man "eats like a horse" and sheds seven stone: WHEN Patrick Williams weighed almost 26 stone he feared he would be dead within two years. He could not walk 300 yards without stopping halfway for a rest, had trouble keeping up with his grandchildren and was suffering from diabetes. That is why Patrick, of Galsworthy Road, Goring, joined the Slimming World weight loss group and has so far lost more than seven stone, despite admitting he "eats like a horse". He said: "I feel so much better in myself and have so much more energy. When I was 26 stone I really thought I would be dead in two years if I didn't change things. "Because I have lost weight I have been able to cut down on my diabetes medication, so I'm taking no short-term medication and just 50 per cent of the long-term medication.
"I'm able to do more with my grandchildren now, such as taking them swimming, so it has been great." Patrick weighed 25 stone 10lbs when he joined the Slimming World group at Heene Community Centre in May last year. He set himself a target of losing 10 stone, and is already three quarters of the way there, now weighing in at just over 18 stone. The signalman said he started gaining weight in 1980 when he left his window cleaning job to work in a sedentary job.
In that time, he said he steadily put on weight through bad diet and lack of exercise, eventually ballooning to around 26 stone. Since he has joined Slimming World he has changed how he eats and has joined David Lloyd gym, where he regularly swims. He also tries to walk five miles every day. "The mistake most people make is that they think you have to eat no food, but I eat like a horse. It's just cutting out junk food and fried food," he said. "There aren't many men in the group but it didn't bother me. I would advise other men to try it out because it does work."

No comments:

Search This Blog