Saturday 28 May 2011

Dangerous Dave's Educational Window Cleaning Show


He is known as Dangerous Dave on the Window Cleaning Resource forum & what a great character to listen to! Meet David Gutierrez aka Dangerous Dave & he works in Seattle & & owns "Advanced Window Cleaning Service." Dave has recently bowled many window cleaners over with his Youtube videos with an edge of humor & his recognizable accent. Watch the videos below.

Dangerous Dave: His story...

I started 32 years ago as a bucket hound but realized I wasn't skilled as a regular window cleaner so I stopped and I went back to work into construction, I was 23 at the time. One day I saw a window cleaner in downtown Seattle, and his style was like an artist in production. So I stopped to to talk to him to ask a few questions about cleaning and told him I really wanted to be a cleaner. I asked him to show me a few tricks, he said "did you see that one?" I said no and then he said "did you see that one" yet again and I said no! I told him if I started up again, could I ever advance to his status. He asked, "do you want the truth"...I said yes! He said, "You won't be worth a dam".

I just felt completely down and then asked "what do I do?" He said, "get a job with a company that is a true service company and then you'll advance!" I asked him if he'd hire me and he said "no, I work alone, but there is a guy right over on the next street that is hiring guys all the time, over in Post alley!"

So I went down and applied, and 2 weeks later Chuck Anderson of Universal Window Cleaning hired me. Chuck's Dad started Universal in 1940. His father passed away and Chuck took over around 1960. Well it turned out that Universal train almost all the cleaners in town at one time or another. Chuck and his dad were highly trained cleaners and I see them as "Sons of Ettore" cleaners who knew every aspect of cleaning! It was because of Chuck Anderson that I learnt to be the "Son of Ettore" cleaner I am today. Because of the help I got from the cleaner on the street and Universal Window Cleaning I began my walk as a Window Cleaner. I love to share the knowledge I have about Cleaning Windows... Ergo I'm on WCR to put forth the things I know and to learn the things that others know.

"This building is my flagship job, the Washington Athletic Club which I've been doing for 31 years, the building is 80 years old and I do it all from the inside except for 8 palladium windows on the outside."
I've been injured a few times and I really like to encourage SAFETY to others cleaners as Mr. Robinson does on his blog! We all need to be thinking safe all the time in everything we do, working on a 4' step ladder to working a 40 story high rise! Anything can happen to anyone,  anytime, anyplace ...even to the most experienced cleaner. I've personally known cleaners killed or injured in our industry!

A few other points about my walk as a window cleaner are... I've done just about every kind of window cleaning under the sun, from high rise to low rise to store fronts and then large commercial accounts. Residential, commercial, boatswains chair work to swing stage work! Hand work with the traditional hand tools to WFP & DI. I've cleaned the home of Paul Allen with Microsoft, to a small studio apartment! 

My Desire as a window cleaner is to be able to go to the White House, the home of the President of the USA, and clean the windows there ... to me that would be the ultimate cleaning job as a Window Cleaner! Today I consider myself as an advanced window cleaner from all the cleaners I've worked for and with. Without the knowledge laid out by others who came before me I wouldn't have advanced to the level I'm at today. I, to this day am still gathering techniques and ideas from other cleaners and forums and blogs like Robinsons Solutions and Window Cleaning Resource, and just the average lone window cleaner on the street ! My bag of tricks is loaded for bear!

This is why I named my business in Seattle Washington, 'Advanced Window Cleaning Service!' One last point is a customer gave me the nickname 'Dangerous' because of his realization of the danger in our industry! 







2 comments:

Karl's Assistant said...

Scrim video up next on WCR!

Chris

http://shopwindowcleaningresource.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey Dangerous Dave!

Your videos are truely informative and fun to watch. I would say my ultimate cleaning job would be the Petronis Towers in Sri Lanka. I could live on that contract. The White House would be a nice gig also however they have a maintenance staff that does that, I think they all are of middle eastern desent.


Be safe Bro,

B. Boulder

Search This Blog