Friday 25 September 2009

Twenty Questions with Oregon's Tim Hunter of "Gleaming the View."




Tim Hunter from Oregon of "Gleaming the view" window cleaning & our second sponsor of the blog. He gets asked 20 odd questions for today's edition. Tim is quite active in the on-line window cleaning community, he has recently started his own blog & added some videos too! Go here to see the blog. Tim is pictured above, holding the worlds largest squeegee - "the Slayer." Normal, ordinary guys can also buy them here. Tim has also been featured before in the blog here.


1.How long have you been window cleaning & what circumstances led you to start in the first instance?

I've been cleaning windows for just over 10 years. I believe it all started by reading a magazine article about some self made millionaire cleaning windows!


2. Which is more lucrative for Oregon window cleaning? Commercial or Residential?

Our most lucrative service is our residential window cleaning. It far surpasses our commercial accounts.


3. Have any favourite tools?

I have a particular screen popper I’m quite fond of. Her name is Betsy and she has been with me a long time...LOL


4. What’s your newest tool & was it worth buying?

I have just invested in water fed poles. They have been a huge success for us with a few pretty upset customers going through our learning curve, I think we got a grasp of it now.


5. Ever tried a Wagtail?

I did get to use a Wagtail. I believe the guys at WCR provided it for the North-West Window Cleaners BBQ in 2008. I thought it was a great tool, that would compliment any window cleaners tool box! Wish I had been the one to keep it! LOL.


6. What do you do to calm down on the job? Or do you just go all "John Mcenroe?

I take great pride in keeping my cool on the job. Things can really build up on me real quick. I usually take it out on my poor steering wheel though.


7. Are you in a trade association? Which one & why is it so good?

Yes, I’m currently in Master Window Cleaners of America. My home group I call it! LOL. I’ve been a member over there for this past 3 or 4 years. I am also a current member of the AUWC, although I don’t participate as much as I want. Masters keeps me pretty busy and the pressure washing and roof cleaning groups I participate in.


8. Who makes the best squeegees?

Lately I’ve been a huge fan of THE SLAYERS.


9. What possessed you to advertise on this blog?

Karlos, you have a great blog! I don’t know how you get this information but its always a great read.


10. Fabrication debris - it's a big topic in the USA. What do ya reckon?

I’m comfortable with our association’s stance on the matter. There are groups amongst the associations tackling GANA head on with our issues. I firmly believe though, if more of us window cleaners take action and join the associations - we have a lot better chance of getting our voice heard to make change and make GANA pull there head out of there ass! Until then I highly recommend getting a waiver signed before those blades come out!


11. How many current employees do you have?

I’ve been affected quite a bit with the real estate market being slow this past year. Typically about 80% of my business is getting homes ready for sale. I currently have 2 employees.


12. Your most hated chore in your work services?

Making phone calls! I wish I had every one’s e-mails...LOL


13. Which Disney character would you be & why?

Owe, I’m a Goofy guy!!!


14. If you weren't doing the best job in the world, what would you be doing?

Fishing


15. Are you going green or is it all a con?

Hmmm. I guess I haven’t heard anything about cons with the green move. Living in Oregon we have a huge majority here that are earth friendly. We get asked all the time if we use green products, I laugh and tell them "I think its blue" LOL. I honestly make many efforts in doing my part in taking care of the environment.


16. Favourite team?

Seattle Seahawks!!! Looks like another year going in the dumps though!


17. How many squeegees do you actually own?

In my possession? Or how many are in my customers bushes and trees? I think around 40 or so!


18. Why did you buy the biggest squeegee in existence? Have you ever used it?

I’m glad you asked Karlos. I’m not trying to compensate for something honestly! It is a real eye catcher though and I just wanted to say my squeegee is bigger than yours! LOL.

I found some windows the other day at a shopping mall that the squeegee would work on… I got all set up, bright and early in the morning, if I may add. The video camera was just set to record and a very young security guard with a badge bigger than he was made me stop. I asked what the problem was and he insisted I get permission before cleaning those few windows. I looked at him like he’s crazy, I’m cleaning there windows for free, you think there going to say no! LOL. I haven’t gone back!


19. Are you friendly with the other local window cleaners?

I better be! I host the Northwest Window Cleaners BBQ. We’re making it an annual event here. Window cleaners are far fewer here being there’s so much rain I guess. I think we get left out a lot of the bigger events and trade shows for our industry. So bringing us together once a year is a start. I have hopes a chapter may form here with our associations in time. I have personally invited every window cleaner within a hundred miles from me. It’s funny the different responses I get when talking to them about it. I’ve been amongst the groups online and have attended a few seminars so I’m more use to talking to fellow window cleaners. The Northwest is the home of the most versatile window cleaners in the world. A lot of great people earning an honest living! There are those few, you know who you are. Just play a fair game, bad mouthing the competition just makes you look bad!


20. How often do you change your squeegee rubber?

Once a month maybe, that’s about how often I put my belt on. My guys go through a lot. We change them up daily.


21. Which soap do you use? Have you tried any others?

GG4 & I am a fan of a product made by Coast wide labs. 64/1 concentrate with a floral scent my customers love. I often just crack the bottle to smell! Works good too!!


22. What’s the best thing about trade shows?

Trade shows are a lot of fun and educational, I’m lucky to take home a small fraction of everything that can be passed to you there.


23. When will you retire & on what terms?

I will retire when I get my Bass boat to join the B.A.S.S fishing circuit!


23. What is the next biggest expense you'll have to pay?

Trailer mounted hot water pressure washer!


24. If you were going to go for the humorous side of window cleaning - what would you have called your company?

“Peeking window cleaners” or maybe “I C U” I don’t know, both of those sound kind of creepy actually.


25. What’s next for Gleaming the View?

Opening a remote office at the beach and taking our roof cleaning business to another level by joining a certification program. I highly recommend roof and gutter cleaning as an add on service.


1 comment:

Search This Blog