Tuesday 21 October 2008

Q & A Welsh Window Cleaner

Marc Rees had ambitions to be a teacher before he realised he could never spend every day indoors. The 22-year-old, from Whitchurch, Cardiff, is now a window cleaner and has been doing the job for two years.
How did you get into it?
I started working with a friend who had a family business and I’m trying to start out on my own. I’ve been canvassing for the last few months. I cover Whitchurch, Rhiwbina, Birchgrove, Lisvane and Thornhill but eventually I want to expand, maybe take on a partner and work all over Cardiff.
What’s the best thing about your job?
I love working outdoors. I hated the idea of working inside and could never do an office job for that reason. Being out in the fresh air is one of the best things, but I love how independent I get to be. You never get told what to do, the hours are flexible and you can work at your own pace.
I also love meeting people and having a chat. I’ve seen couples argue behind the windows – that’s embarrassing but I just ignore them politely and get on with the job. I used to feel awkward when I saw a potential row about to start – now I just get on as quickly as possible and leave!
What qualities do you need to be a window cleaner?
You have to be fit. There is a lot of walking around and carrying heavy equipment. It’s a good work-out every day. You also have to have good time-keeping and be organised enough to keep a busy diary. It’s important you’re very self-motivated.
Safety’s obviously a big issue – you have to know how to put up the ladder so you don’t fall, and know which roof tiles you can’t stand on because they’ll crack. Obviously you can’t be afraid of heights either.
What’s in your kit?
I carry an applicator, blades which we call squidgeys, a special soap, scrins (cloths), a reach-and-wash brush for conservatories and purified water. I carry it around on a belt with my appointment book and a bucket. I’ve recently started painting exteriors so I’ve got all the tools for that too.
Did you always want to be a window cleaner?
No, I wanted to be a teacher. Part of me regrets not going to university after school. I started training, to be a teaching assistant and worked at nurseries, then was planning on doing a Post Graduate Certificate in Education but I soon realised it wasn’t for me. I can always go back to it though and for now I’m enjoying what I do. It’s a lot less tiring than looking after screaming reception children but it keeps me just as busy. My great-grandfather was a window cleaner and had a good business brain apparently – I hope that rubs off on me!
What’s the worst thing about the job?
The weather. If it’s belting down with rain you can’t work but I’ll go out in showers – I have to or I wouldn’t earn anything! You also have to understand things like that will mean that you won’t always have a completely reliable income. So far I haven’t been affected by the dreaded credit crunch. I think people always want their windows cleaned and nobody wants to get up a ladder and do it themselves. I’ve seen some really disgusting windows. I did a friend’s who lives with two other girls and they’d lived there a year without having it done – the windows were filthy and were covered in spiders. I should have charged them more really!
How difficult do you think it will be to maintain a business on your own?
There are a few costs when you’re starting out so I’ll have to save up. You can get a transit van for about £800 and the equipment costs just over £100. Then there’s the business cards. I enjoy working with my friend because you can chat as you go along. But I don’t get lonely when I’m out on my own. I get on well with all my customers, they’re always polite and most offer you a cup of tea. I’ve only ever had one customer who was really miserable, most are really chatty and take an interest in what I’m doing.
Would you recommend it?
Yes – it’s a great job and I genuinely love it. When I tell people I’m a window cleaner I get mixed reactions. Some people give me a wry smile and look as if they wonder why I’m doing it – people can be a bit snobby. Others congratulate me on doing my own thing and trying to start a business. A lot of people don’t understand the hard work that’s involved.


Picture of a window cleaner at work at the St David's Hotel in Cardiff Bay -
.

No comments:

Search This Blog