Wednesday 23 February 2011

Window Cleaning In Newcastle More Dangerous Than Afghanistan



Cadets and reservists honoured for work: It's not being on the frontline of a war zone that worries Paul McKeown, but window cleaning on Tyneside. He was one of scores of volunteers honoured yesterday for their role in supporting the armed forces. Dozens of members of the Territorial Army, cadets and other reservists gathered to be recognised for the part they play in protecting the country. And despite operating in one of the most dangerous places in the world, Sapper McKeown said being on the lookout for suicide bombers and insurgents wasn’t half as dangerous as his civilian job on Tyneside.

The 47-year-old, from Newcastle, said: "I’m a window cleaner and about a year before I was posted to Afghanistan I had an accident at work which almost killed me. "I fell off my ladder and fractured my skull in five places, broke my ribs and had fractures to my arms and legs. They say Afghanistan is a dangerous place, but the closest I’ve come to death was on the streets of Newcastle." The grandfather-of-one spent seven months last year in the war- torn country operating in Kabul providing close protection work for high-ranking diplomatic figures.

He joined the TA three years ago but was a member of the regular Army between 1979 and 1993. He was among the volunteers honoured with certificates by the Lord Lieutenant of Tyne & Wear Nigel Sherlock. They were recognised for their work during an hour-long presentation ceremony at the TA Centre in Heaton, Newcastle. It was a family affair for the Carrolls, as husband and wife Jospeh and Theresa Carroll from Newcastle picked up awards for their TA service. Joseph has served abroad while Theresa has been based back in the UK.

Corporal Paul Smith, from Low Teams, in Gateshead, was given a commendation for his services in Afghanistan. The soldier has been in the TA for 19 years, and recently spent six months in the war zone. He was responsible for ensuring supplies reached front-line troops. Cpl Smith, 39, said: "I was chuffed to get the award, very honoured. I love my job. There are dangers, but you get used to being places like that." Mr Sherlock said: "It has been a pleasure handing out the awards. All these people here give up their spare time to give something to the wider community."

No comments:

Search This Blog