Tuesday 11 January 2011

Streaks, Scum and Stuff - A HomeOwners Effort


Streaks, scum and stuff (by Steve Mason): Do it once and do it properly. That's what I was taught. So I thought I had done well on Saturday when I cleaned all the windows in the house, inside and out. They were pretty bad on the outside and took me ages and I was very pleased with myself when it was finished. Then the sun came out – and the windows looked like some idiot had been let loose with a scrubbing brush and a bucket of filthy water. There were streaks and smears and runs everywhere.

So I spent the next hour and a bit doing them all over again. They are still not perfect but they are clean. I always admire those professional window guys who seem to give the glass a bit of a mop and a couple of quick strokes with one of those rubber wipers and it's all gleaming and streak-free. They make it look so easy but they get a lot more practice. The windows were a small part of a weekend of scrubbing and wiping and rinsing that made my hands all white and wrinkly.

It's also surprising how dirty things can get with one person. I haven't used the oven much in seven months but it still took a fair bit of toxic cleaner and elbow grease to get it spotless. Have you ever noticed how quickly scum builds up on the walls of the shower? You don't notice it so much on the solid walls, but there's no hiding the film on glass.

No comments:

Search This Blog