Tuesday 17 November 2009

Barenaked Ladies, Megan Fox & Lupe Fiasco Window Washing Fascination

Lupe Fiasco, is an American recording artist, producer and he rose to fame in 2006 following the success of his critically acclaimed debut album, "Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor." With a prominently hip hop sound, this artist is currently writing a novel about a window washer: "Oh, I'm writing my book! It's tentatively titled Reflections of a Window-Washer. It's about this character who has limited amount of conversation with the world. But he has simulated conversations, as if he had ever went past saying to someone, ''Hi.'' It's a real cerebral kind of piece. I've got maybe just a few chapters. They published one of the chapterettes in a magazine in London, where [the character] sits and ponders the notion, the physics, the ideals, the commercialization of the future. Hip-hop is like a byproduct of telling stories and writing. Some of the stuff that I want to talk about can't be compressed into a song." If you have any interest in Lupe Fiasco you can see him interviewed here, min 5:50 is where he talks about his book.

With the revelation in the film "Transformers - the move" that the actual robots are window-washing poles stretched up to 30 feet high. Meagan Fox & the actors talk to the poles and must react as though giant robots are responding. "The actors do have to sell it." "It would be a hoot to show what the sequence looks like with the actors talking back and forth but with nothing there other than a couple of sticks and poles." Megan Fox also starred in "two & a half men" washing windows rather badly...


The "Barenaked Ladies" are a Canadian alternative rock band. They are best known for their light-hearted, comedic performance style. The band's trademarks at live shows are humorous banter between songs and improvised raps/songs, both of which are staples at virtually every concert. Who would have guessed that they would make a song titled "When I Fall" about a window washer.

"When I Fall"

I look straight in the window, try not to look below
Pretend I'm not up here, try counting sheep
But the sheep seem to shower off this office tower
Nine-point-eight straight down I can't stop my knees

[Chorus]
I wish I could fly
From this building
From this wall
And if I should try
Would you catch me if I fall?

My hands clench the squeegee, my secular rosary
Hang on to your wallet, hang on to your rings
Can't look below me, or something might throw me
Curse at the windstorms that October brings

I look in the boardroom; a modern pharaoh's tomb
I'd gladly swap places, if they care to dive
They're lined up at the window, peer down into limbo
They're frightened of jumping, in case they survive

I wish I could step from this scaffold
Onto soft green pastures, shopping malls, or bed
With my family and my pastor and my grandfather who's Dead

Look straight in the mirror, watch it come clearer
I look like a painter, behind all the grease
But paintings creating, and I'm just erasing
A crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece

No comments:

Search This Blog