Friday 13 June 2008

Land's End trek for the love of Muriel



Classic car mission to raise cash:
AS Nick Bradley drives his 1952 Austin A40 Somerset from Elland to Land's End he will be thinking of his late wife, Muriel (pictured). In 2000 Muriel died aged 53 from stomach cancer. She was given just two months to live but bravely battled the disease, which spread to the rest of her body, for two years. Window cleaner Nick, 64, of School Close, Ripponden, will tackle the 1,000-mile round trip from Overgate Hospice, Elland, to Land's End, Cornwall, on July 1 in her memory. His three-week journey will avoid busy motorways in favour of scenic country lanes through Derbyshire, the Cotswolds and Gloucestershire. "My wife wasn't in a hospice but I think it would have been good for her during her final weeks," he said. "Her mum Kathleen recently died in a hospice near Warrington and it was there I found out that hospices are only funded by the Government for 12 weeks of the year. "For the rest of the time they are reliant on public donations. "I thought it was shocking and wanted to do something about it. "In preparation for the challenge, Nick is practising his navigation skills. The father-of-three has also bought a tent and plans to stop off at places of interest along the way. He will be travelling between 60 and 80 miles a day at a cruising speed of 50 miles per hour. "I'm looking forward to it, especially as friends have rallied around to help with preparing the car and me for it. "The car is 50 years behind the times, so I shall have to concentrate when driving. I don't want a puncture. I plan to travel lightly and fill the car with spare parts instead. "I don't want to get to Cornwall on the back of an AA truck. "I have always wanted to go back to Cornwall as we enjoyed our family holidays there. I'm bound to be thinking of Muriel along the way. "Nick hopes to raise as much cash as possible for Overgate Hospice. Laura Ramsden, Overgate community fund-raiser, said: "It's a new and exciting idea and I'm sure he will have lots of adventures along the way."

No comments:

Search This Blog