Friday 11 April 2008

R.I.P Jim Willingham

It was a quick announcement yesterday, but I don't think anyone was expecting the passing of Jim so soon. Here are just a few of the responses:

"Throughout the day I thought about Jim, his commitment to the window cleaning industry, and how his efforts helped bring so many people together around a common interest. A new community was built around those growing interests. The work within that community, in agreement and disagreement, demanded an unselfish leadership that constantly reminded everyone that our self interests could be melded into and served by a dynamic, effective organization. Jim Willingham provided that kind of leadership and set the example for others to do the same. The bonds of friendship that are created from the difficult work of giving birth to, and sustaining, a meaningful, dynamic organization like the IWCA, transcend physical association into the realm of heart and soul. I look at the list of names that received this message from you, Sam, and marvel at the connections we all have to one another. Connections formed and graced by working in, working for, helping people develop a professional approach to window cleaning, while developing a professional association. I hope I speak for others in saying I became a better person as I learned to put into practice what I learned from these associations in the International Window Cleaners Association. All this initiated and set in motion by a down home, cowboy whose gentle, humorous style and sometimes stubborn insistence brought about the focus of the creative energies of so many. God love him, God keep him, and let us all hold him fondly, individually, and somehow in the collective memory of the organization that he worked so hard to create and sustain." Jerry Rigdon

I found it hard to believe when I first saw this thread coming through. I thought that surly someone had gotten it wrong.

Of course our thoughts are with Jacinda. Jim and Jacinda have certainly had an impact on each of us in this business; whether we knew Jim personally or not. Jim was one of very few people, that when he gave me advice or suggestions, I knew it would do me well to listen carefully. He was certainly a straight shooter, and never boring to spend some time with. Even though I had not spent much time with him of late, I find myself missing him already. Steve Miller

Jim has been my friend, role model and window cleaning idol. A sad day to hear Jim is gone. I will miss you, Jim. Gordon Perrot

Words sometimes get used to make someone larger than life. Platitudes are spoken about people that may not really deserve them. Words like legend, icon, vanguard, mentor and role model. Every one of those words really and truly apply to Jim Willingham. He wasn't just a window cleaner, although You Tube evidence exists to show just how good he really WAS as a window cleaner. There was so much more to Jim, and by extension, Jacinda. Always quick to help where needed, founding member of the IWCA, willing to mentor others in the industry, quick with a joke, and about as straightforward and honest as you'd expect a good Texan to be. Jim would treat you with the same patience, dignity, and respect whether you operated a multi-state company with dozens of employees, or you just bought a set of gear yesterday and were just starting out. He didn't pull punches or play politics in an industry and association that sometimes does too much of both. I've known Jim for 19 years, and I will miss not seeing him around. We did in fact lose a legend today, and an icon, and a role model. And many of us, far too many of us, lost a friend. Godspeed Jim, and be strong Jacinda. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you. Jeff Klass

This is truly a sad day for the industry. Jim was one of the most selfless men I ever had the pleasure of getting to know. Jim joined us at J. Racenstein with one goal; to make the industry better. He was always excited to meet window cleaners (large companies to small) and help them do better for themselves. He traveled tirelessly even when sick spreading the word. Jim was proud of the industry and loved everybody in it; he even loved his competitors in Lubbock; I never heard Jim utter a negative word about a window cleaner; if you were in his industry you were his friend. The only thing he loved more than his industry is Jacinda. I am grateful to have spent so much time with Jim during the past couple of years. He taught me so much about the industry and I will always be grateful for that. But more importantly he showed me how a true gentleman conducts himself through thick and thin. The entire team at JRC and I will miss him terribly; he was our friend. Cameron Riddell

Jim can be seen doing his stuff here. Thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Search This Blog