Tuesday 13 September 2016

Window washer survives 10-story fall

Window washer falls 10 stories from scaffolding in Newport News
Live from Norfolk, Va, a 24-year-old man fell 10 stories from a Newport News high-rise building on Friday. Read the official article here. Luckily, he is expected to make a full recovery. He is currently wearing a body cast and has a broken arm, broken foot, broken back bones and bruises on his lungs and heart.

Officials say he fell from the Maritime Square building which is near 26th Street and Washington Avenue. The incident happened around 1:45 p.m. on Sept. 9 while he was window cleaning.

Martin Stanford says he remembers free-falling and then having a tough time opening his eyes at the hospital. He doesn’t recall the impact. “When I first started dropping, I saw how high up I was,” he says. “The first thing I thought was that I’m about to die, and then I woke up in the hospital and I was still alive.” Stanford says he started repelling from buildings five days before the incident.

The Virginia Department of Labor and Industry is currently conducting an open case to investigate what went wrong.

No comments:

Search This Blog