Tuesday 27 March 2012

Window Cleaners Smarter Than Einstein Or Hawking

Clear thoughts: Steve Borlase has an IQ of 180
Genius smarter than Albert Einstein wants to quit cleaning windows: When he came to, he had suddenly become a maths whizzkid - but, despite his skills with numbers, the 39-year-old can’t get a well-paid job. Steve, 39, said: 'I fell off some monkey bars when I was five and a couple of days later something changed in me and I was able to work out huge arithmetic sums. 'For the past year I've been working as a window cleaner but I would love somebody to take me on and give me a chance to show what I can do with figures.'
With an IQ of 180, he can figure out sums running into millions but can only find work polishing windows in Warminster, Wiltshire. His vast intelligence makes him smarter than Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking and Countdown's Carol Vorderman. He also knows exactly how much his shopping is going to total before he gets to the till and is easily able to keep track of how much money his girlfriend spends. Mr Borlase, who has represented England as a pool player, said: ‘I did apply to go on Countdown as the new Carol Vorderman but they said I was no good as the male viewers like looking at a shapely figure.’
Maths wizard Steve Borlase, who works as a window cleaner, took just 90 seconds to solve this page of calculations.
It doesn’t add up – all I want is a new job: A human calculator who can solve complicated sums in seconds says he can only find work as a window cleaner – despite having an IQ of 180. Steve Borlase, 39, has a higher intelligence test score than former Countdown star Carol Vorderman, Professor Stephen Hawking or even Albert Einstein. He can recite complicated six-figure equations in just seconds while scrubbing windows – writing out long division in his soapy suds.

But the numbers man, from Warminster – whose skill mirrors that of maths genius janitor Will Hunting in the 1997 film Good Will Hunting – has been turned down for dozens of jobs. The former salesman, who earns £300 a week cleaning windows, said: “I know I have this really rare talent and I don’t believe anyone can do what I do.

“I sent 127 emails to sales companies – but I only got two replies. I have had to take up window cleaning because it is the only work I can get. I have been working in this job for about a year but I would love a job where I can use my skills. “It is quite incredible really, because I can get even the bigger numbers within a few minutes – without writing anything down. I can see all these numbers floating around in my mind and the brightest one is always the right answer. I can work out sums going into millions in just seconds and I have never seen anyone else who can do this before.”

Mr Borlase claims he got his extraordinary talent after falling off the monkey bars in a playground, aged five. He is able to add, subtract, multiply and divide five- and six-figure numbers faster than most people can enter the sums into a calculator. In less than 90 seconds he was able to give the answers to 53 x 7, 64 x 64, the square root of 332, 19 x 19 / 3, 99 x 99 x 99, 7 x 21 x 29, and 47 x 49. He has an IQ of 180 – which is 20 points higher than TV presenter Carol Vorderman, maths professor Stephen Hawking and physicist Albert Einstein.

Steve said: “I have been shopping in Morrisons with friends and they have said to me, ‘Right, let me know when we get to £70’. I’ll add up all the shopping in my head as we go along. When we get to the cashier, I can tell her to the penny what the shopping will come to.” The sums genius, who only got a B in GCSE maths, left school at 16 and became a gas and electricity salesman before the work dried up.

He then was made redundant before he began scraping a living as a window cleaner. Now he is looking for a job to match his talent and says his dream job would be working the numbers on Countdown. Mr Borlase, who is also a professional pool player who has represented England, said: “I rang Countdown and spoke to somebody about a job but it came to nothing. “I got the feeling that I might have got somewhere if I had been wearing a skirt.

“Things are a struggle at the moment – but I am convinced I can do a job for someone. I would be great as a bookie or a job where you have to do a lot of buying or selling.” The film Good Will Hunting, starred Matt Damon and Robin Williams and featured a young maths genius, discovered working as a janitor at a US college. The critically acclaimed film won two Academy Awards and one Golden Globe.

No comments:

Search This Blog