Tuesday 14 February 2012

UK Window Cleaner Turns His Life Around

Window cleaner Chris McEvoy turned his life round and is now helping people rather than committing crimes - pictured here at Vineyard Church in Gatehouse Close, Aylesbury.
Aylesbury crook turns to God after life of drugs and violence: A man who could once have been deemed a menace to society has turned his life around to help those less fortunate than himself. Aylesbury window cleaner Chris McEvoy has an extensive list of criminal convictions and a history of violence and drugs, but has now dedicated his life to helping others.

The former John Colet student was the pioneer in exposing the squalid conditions which the tenants of Winchester House in Aylesbury are being forced to endure after their roof began to let in litres of water a day, as reported by The Bucks Herald. “The feeling you get when you help someone else is far better than the rush of any drug,” said Chris. “I’d managed to get myself into a very bad situation. I’ve been arrested more times than I can count – mostly for assaults. I’ve been convicted for affray, assault and I was even almost tried for attempted murder. I’ve had someone try to take my life twice now, and I’ve even been kidnapped.”

Chris, who now runs CJM Cleaning Services, first began getting himself into trouble when he was just 11 years old, when he would walk to school drinking a can of Special Brew beer. He then began to get in with the wrong crowds, and by the age of 14 he was spending his time with 18-20 year olds, who were involved in a whole host of ‘dodgy’ dealings. “It got to the point where I was just constantly in and out of the police station,” he added. “I grew up far too quickly for my age, and while my parents gave me everything I could have ever wanted, I quickly began taking a whole host of drugs, from MDMA and ecstasy to ketamine and magic mushrooms.

“I got into trouble for drink driving, and then assaulting two police officers. “The only thing which stopped me going to prison was that I was my mum’s sole carer while she was suffering from cancer. “She had to stand up in court for me, and the judge said that if I were to get myself into trouble again, there’d be no other option but to jail me. “My mum died when I was 25, and my dad closed the door on me – he just couldn’t handle what I had become. I lost my mum, my business, my home, my girlfriend broke up with me and I’d been banned from driving – all in the space of a year.

“I was living homeless for a long time, and that’s when I met my girlfriend and found God and The Vineyard church. “If it hadn’t have been for the kindness shown to me by other people, I’d still be off my face in a gutter somewhere. So now I want to give something back. “I want to help people, especially young people who are in similar positions to how I was. I just want to be a helping hand, it doesn’t need to be about preaching – I just want to help youths as a person they can relate to. “If I could take just a few kids off the streets and stop them taking drugs, the whole thing would be worth it.

“People just seem to know where they can go to get help either – when I was down I went to the council and all they could do was give me a tent. The Vineyard has a lot to offer people – the store house for example, which can provide free furniture, clothing and food. “The church gave me £100 to start up my business – and it’s doing really well now. And in a couple of months, when it’s even stronger, I’ll be looking to take on staff who would otherwise struggle to find work – there’s no way I’d have been able to get work with a criminal record as harsh as mine.

“I can’t express enough just how much I have turned a new leaf – it’s unbelievable. I was stuck in a rut – once you get into drugs and start getting in with the wrong crowd, it’s a very difficult situation to get out of.” Click here to find out more about The Vineyard Centre.

No comments:

Search This Blog