Friday 22 January 2010

Window Cleaning Gives Fort Wayne Man Freedom




High-rise window cleaning gives Fort Wayne man freedom: John Nations learned something when he was 17-years-old and building antenna towers. And now it’s paying off 22 years later. “I realized that if you get up in the air you can make some money,” Nations said. He started Nations Building Maintenance five years ago after he got tired of working for someone else. The high-rise window cleaning company is booming. Almost every building over three stories in downtown Fort Wayne gets its windows cleaned by Nations Building Maintenance, Nations said.

In the past, building owners downtown thought cleaning the windows was seasonal. “The companies you had here had then thinking (that),” Nations said. “All these people knew me. For 20 years they’ve seen me doing their work so I had a foot in the door.” That was all he would need to establish his company. He’s expanded the company and for the first time, has two full time employees beside him. There’s something about being hundreds of feet in the air, hanging from a couple of ropes and watching the sun come up. “I guess it just gives me a sense of freedom,” Nations said. “I feel more in touch with my creator.” Although he enjoys hanging from skyscrapers, Nations said he’d like to get some smaller, residential jobs. “If it’s dirty, I’ll clean it. It doesn’t matter what time of year it is,’ Nations said.

No comments:

Search This Blog